Thursday, October 6, 2011

I'm getting restless.

The need to have an adventure is becoming overwhelming.

It's a case of wanderlust to a great degree. An urge to go somewhere beyond the neighborhood. The yearning to see things I haven't before or things I haven't seen in a great while. I want to get out of Dodge.

Not permanently, but to escape for a little bit.

To meet people who I know but never really met. To breath air a little different than the air in this hole. My apartment that is and not the town. But the urge to get out of town or go down a road never or barely traveled is nagging at me. The yearning to just pick up and explore new places or again visit places is stirring inside of me.

There are limitations.

Yes, I know there are physical challenges, but those are the least of it all. Those things can be overcome with just a bit of willpower. Those barriers are not insurmountable. If anything, sheer stubbornness will carry me through.

The real issue is one of other resources.

Just hopping into my car is not a possibility, as I no longer have access to one. Part of the costs of doing what I do best. A bus is a possibility but planning is required. Financially I might be able to accomplish some of this if it weren't for one small hindrance.

There's this monkey who keeps tapping me on the shoulder. Well, that's what people who don't have to carry one around might call the thing. The problem is that times it's a seething, screaming, venomous, puss oozing five hundred pound gorilla.

That gorilla almost always wins as well.

Still, I just want to get away for a little while. I just don't want to be sitting still while I do that. To be someplace other than this place, even for a day or so would be heaven. a healthy escape from this monkey house.

There are those who know exactly what I mean.

For those of you who don't, be grateful.

3 comments:

  1. what do you do when the monkey burden is yourself? at least you have a will. that said, you're farther along than you give yourself credit for.

    there are many people who have no idea what carrying a monkey feels like but currently face financial burdens as a result of the economy who may at one time have had more freedoms than they can even afford?

    those people are the ones we hear about on the news who shot their spouses and then themselves.

    you are resourceful. you do get what you want. thing of it is this: you just got to keep working sometimes.. especially for the bigger stuff and yes especially in this world we currently live in.

    funny thing is this: you taught me that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What lies behind us, and what lies
    before us are small matters
    compared to what lies within us."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about calling people with cars? Road trip? Bar hop? Swan dive?
    Remember: wherever you go, there you are!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is now reopened to comments.