Thursday, September 5, 2019

Well, it is funny who shows up at my door

It occasionally verges on the edge of hilarious.

What does seem to be happening though, and I am going to blame the drugs, is that the wiring in my noggin may be getting scrambled. I have been acting in a fashion that does not suit me. Being dependent on another to fill my emotional needs is a dangerous place to go. with that said, I enjoy company and will do what I can to encourage people to return when they feel the urge. I don't encourage everyone to return, but there are a few whose appearance makes me smile. It's not often that you find someone who can fill hours of time with interesting conversation.

Sadly, it seems the urge some have is not for my company but for what type of recreational substances I may have on hand. That isn't said in a way of condemnation of those people, but a reflection of the way I decide where or who I will hang out with at some times. Additionally, the weather is starting to get chilly. People are calling or texting, looking for a place to stay until  the weather gets better or the overflow shelters open.

It will be some time before those shelters open again.

The thing is that, as the old cliche goes, never let a good deed go unpunished. Way too often I have offered my couch to someone in a jam, only to find something I treasured has disappeared or my secret stash was found. Another test on my hospitality is when someone shows, dragging along another creature that is completely foreign to me. For all I know, they may be serious serial killers.

This happens more often than I would care to admit.

So I am sitting here, at this very moment, wondering about one of the night creatures, who says they are cold with no place to sleep. And even if there is some sort of compensation for shelter, which often there isn't, will I be able to sleep. I have tried to sleep on more than just one night, feeling the need to keep one eye open.

And people wonder why I'm anxious.






No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is now reopened to comments.